31 August 2010

Embarking for South Africa

Note: this post was intended to go up on August 25, but I lost internet access before I could finish it.

Today is the big day.  Today, I begin my two days of travel to South Africa and will see my host country for the first time shortly.  This week of orientation in Chicago has been an uplifting week of preparation for my spiritual journey through life, especially this coming year.

The bonds I have formed with the other YAGM volunteers and alumni have strengthened as we have grow closer to God and each other.  We have learned what it means to be in community with one another even as we prepare to be in community with those partnering with us this year.  We have come to appreciate the wonderous diversity in God's children even while finding common ground.

One commonality in all major religions is a call to be self-less and to be servants to one another.  This foundation is expressed in the holy writings of each of the major religions.  In a later post, I will explain more about this.

No comments:

Post a Comment