19 August 2010

Arrival in Chicago

My year-long journey has begun today with my flight to Chicago for a week-long orientation for YAGM prior to my departure for South Africa.  Thankfully, I did not have any problems with my flight to Chicago, though I had no leg room to speak of.

We took a bus from the airport to the seminary in Chicago.  Now, I'm not sure how long the trip usually takes, but we hit some serious traffic and the drive took an hour and a half.  The traffic served to illustrate two lessons that should serve me well during my journey this year.  First, I will need to learn to go with the flow.  Second, even when I know where I am and how to get to where I want to be, the pace may not always be the speed I want it to be.  Of course, both lessons will serve me well in my spiritual development as well.

I am excited that the first part of my journey is now in full swing.  Being with all of the YAGM volunteers again for the first time since the DIP event in April invigorates me.  The opening worship service this evening was very moving.

2 comments:

  1. I am glad you arrived safely. The Good Lord never misses an opportunity to remind us that patience is a virtue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey mike, I am glad to hear that all is going well so far. Let the lord be with you as you continue your journey to South Africa. Good luck and hope to hear from you soon. everyone says hi and wish you the best of luck.

    jimmy

    ReplyDelete